Have you ever made Dirt? You know, crushed up Oreos, layers of pudding with a light, cream cheese flavor, and gummy worms sticking out of the top? It’s probably one of my favorite things ever.
I thought I was being really clever when I decided to call this version “Mud”, but it’s better than “Mud” sounds. So I ditched that and went with the more obvious title.
I made this two ways. You can either use a combination of chocolate pudding + peanut butter pudding + regular Oreos, or use chocolate pudding + Peanut Butter Creme Filled Oreos. (Yeah, I didn’t know that was a thing. The day after I tested this recipe, I saw them at the grocery store. There was still some pudding left over in the fridge back home, so you best believe I snatched them up REAL quick.) The second method was much easier and less time consuming with pretty much the same results, so that’s what I’ve got for you today!
My mom and I used to make this dessert all the time when I was younger. We always serve it in a large glass bowl so all the layers are visible, but for this particular occasion, I split it up into three smaller glass bowls. We took one to my grandparents’ house for lunch, one to my other grandfather’s house for dinner, and had one bowl to ourselves the next day. 😉
I think this recipe is perfect for the summer because there are so many ways you can tweak it and make a completely new version. Because the Oreos soften while in the refrigerator for several hours, the end result is a dessert that’s light, fluffy, and doesn’t require you to turn on your oven and heat up your house! And everyone will love it.
- two 3 oz boxes of instant chocolate pudding
- 3 cups milk
- one 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz container of Cool Whip
- 1 package Peanut Butter Creme Filled Oreos, crushed into chunks (not crumbs)
- gummy worms
- Combine pudding mixes + milk. Whisk until incorporated and there are no lumps. Set in the refrigerator.
- Crush Oreos into chunks. (I do this by transferring them to a Ziploc bag + another Ziploc bag around that, and then crush them with the end of a wooden spoon.)
- In a medium/large sized bowl, mix cream cheese + butter + powdered sugar on low speed until powdered sugar is incorporated, then on medium high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Take the pudding out of the refrigerator; it should be thicker at this point. Add pudding + Cool Whip to the cream cheese mixture and mix on medium speed until combined.
- In a large, clear or transparent bowl (so the layers will be visible), alternate layers of crushed Oreos and pudding mixture, ending with a layer of Oreos on top.
- Add the gummy worms to the top and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but overnight if possible.
*best if prepared the day before and stored in the refrigerator over night