I’m super excited to share this recipe today! One of my 2020 goals for this blog is to share more brunchy recipes and I’m obsessed with how these waffles turned out. I originally imagined them like the cinnamon roll pancakes that crazed the internet a couple years ago. You know, with the big cinnamon swirl sunken into the top.
The swirl didn’t really stay put while these waffles were cooking, but it’s for the best really because the end result is a fluffy waffle with pockets of cinnamon sugar all over the top. SO GOOD.
It’s really weird to me that Valentine’s Day is next week. January always feels like it lasts 47 weeks long, but Valentine’s means February is half over?? I try not to think about it lol. But since it is the season, I tried to make these V-Day friendly by using a mini waffle maker. It’s $9.99 at Target and seriously one of my favorite purchases!! While I would never turn down a big ole waffle if someone put one in front of me, I really prefer this size. One is a nice treat on its own, but also small enough if you wanted to serve some other breakfasty things to go with it.
A friend also mentioned to me that waffles this size will fit in the toaster, so these are perfect for freezing and keeping on hand. For when you get a craving or need to treat yourself to a little bit more indulgent breakfast! As you should, every now and then. I am a big fan of this.
Mmmm look at that cinnamon! The older I get the more I think cinnamon is my favorite flavor of things,
instead of my usual chocolate or something covered in sprinkles.
There are so many ways you could top these waffles. A classic drizzle of syrup would be absolutely perfect, but this cream cheese glaze is excellent and definitely truer to the cinnamon roll lifestyle. The waffles are sweet enough on their own though, so I think you couldn’t go wrong with some butter and fruit. I used strawberries here, but bananas and blueberries would also be fab. You can’t go wrong! Top them however your heart desires. This is the 2020 way.
This recipe makes about 10 mini waffles, and I haven’t tried these in a regular-sized waffle maker, but I imagine you could get 2-3 large waffles out of it. The batter could easily be doubled, though, so you could always make a bigger batch if you’d like. (If you do this, I’d love to know how it turns out!)
Happy almost Valentine’s! ❤️
Cinnamon Roll Waffles
- Mini or regular waffle maker
- FOR THE WAFFLES
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- CINNAMON TOPPING
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp sugar
- CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
- 2 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 tbsp milk
- Preheat waffle maker according to instructions.
- For the waffles: Whisk together dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt). Add remaining ingredients (egg, milk, vanilla, and butter) and whisk until combined.
- For the cinnamon topping: Stir together melted butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Transfer to a piping bag with a small tip cut off, or use a squeeze bottle.
- To make the waffles, pour just enough batter to cover the waffle maker. (I used a 3 tablespoon cookie scoop and spread to cover.) Pipe a drizzle of the cinnamon topping over the batter and close the lid. Let waffles cook about 4-6 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
- For the cream cheese glaze: Whisk together cream cheese, melted butter, vanilla. powdered sugar, and milk. (I put my cream cheese in the microwave in 5 second intervals until it was soft enough to stir in with the other ingredients.)