As I’m writing this post at 9pm on Tuesday night, I desperately need tomorrow to be a snow day. We might get 2-3 inches. In Alabama! I know that sounds ridiculous, but hey. We’re willing to admit that most of us have no idea what we’re doing when it comes to snow.
I feel like I’ve had to sort of put my blog on the back burner for the last week or so, and today I’m excited to be sharing these Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes with Red Velvet Frosting. They were literally the only things I had time to make over the weekend. Mostly because they failed the first time, but y’all! I’m so glad I went with these and not the boring poppyseed bread I was going to make.
What are your thoughts on the Red Velvet Oreos? I’m just going to say it–I love them. Oreos are also my fave cookie, so that really isn’t surprising. But the package is like half the size of a regular package of Oreos, and that’s kind of disappointing. But they taste real good in some cupcakes. 😉
I’ve made similar Oreo-filled cupcakes in the past, but they have all been missing one very important thing. Red velvet frosting.
Yeah, I’m probably a little late on this frosting flavor. I remember first seeing it awhile ago and my red-velvet-obsessed-self swooned! There are many different recipes out there for it–some using cake mixes and some from scratch. Recently I saw this masterpiece from I am Baker, and I thought, yeah okay, this needs to happen.
For this version, you just start out with regular vanilla buttercream and basically add a little bit of cocoa powder and red food coloring. I had this idea to add cream cheese to the cake batter just for funsies. I didn’t expect the flavor to be very noticeable or anything, and instead of producing a moist and fluffy cupcake like I’d hoped, they sank. So stick to the Oreos, friends. Just stick to Oreos.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cups all purpose flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 12 Red Velvet Oreos
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 oz red velvet gel food coloring
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat butter on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and vanilla, then mix well. Add the egg and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the sugar mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Fill the bottom of each cupcake liner with a little bit of cake batter, just enough to cover the bottom. Add a Red Velvet Oreo, then top with more cake batter. The cupcake liners should be about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a medium-sized bowl with a hand-held mixer, cream butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Next add cocoa powder, vanilla, food coloring, and mix until fully combined. Then add the powdered sugar in two segments, mixing well after each addition. Finally, mix the frosting for one more minute.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and frosting cupcakes!