I have to tell you something. Something that you probably wouldn’t ever know by looking at me or my blog. (Except for this one post.)
I really love The Walking Dead.
I absolutely hate scary and gory movies. But I love The Walking Dead. It’s true. It’s weird! I’ve learned to accept it.
I started watching TWD with my friends in college last year around this time, but now that I’ve graduated and moved home, I don’t personally know anyone who watches it anymore. Except my mom. My mom and I always watch it on Sunday nights. (I know, my mom is cool.)
As someone who is obsessed with food, I’ve noticed a lot of food moments in this show, specifically in season 4. Because the characters are trying to survive, they’re always looking for food and water–obviously. In the second half of this season, some of the food finds were especially exciting. I mean, if I found an 112 oz can of pudding in my house, I would have freaked out too. #pudding
The season 4 finale is tomorrow night, so I thought it would be funny to post a round of up recipes that relate to the show. Like spaghetti, pudding, and crazy cheese. You know, the essentials.
This might be a weird round up, but let’s not think about it too much and just get to it!
1. White Trash Brunch
aka: peanut butter, jelly, pigs feet, and diet soda.
- If you’d like to try your hand at homemade peanut butter, check out this recipe by Averie Cooks.
- Or this Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter recipe from The Messy Baker.
- And, um, if you really want to try pigs feet, The Food Network’s got you covered.
2. Spaghetti Tuesdays
If you’re looking for something more exciting than store-bought sauce, ground beef, and noodles:
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce from Damn Delicious
- Spaghetti Baked in a Skillet from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
- Homemade Spaghetti O’s anyone? Recipe from Family Fresh Cooking
- Or Million Dollar Spaghetti from Made From Pinterest
- Possibly the best idea ever: Spaghetti Baked INSIDE the bread by Plain Chicken
Straight out of the pod, Farmer-Rick-style.
- If you’re feeling fancy, try making pudding from scratch with this recipe from the Brown Eyed Baker.
- Or if you’re a vanilla person, this Vanilla Bean Pudding recipe from Smitten Kitchen is for you!
- Try this fun twist on a Southern classic: Banana Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Just a Taste.
- If you absolutely have to have a 112 oz can like the one on the show, you can buy them at Sams Club or Amazon.
5. Local Produce
Get your hands on some local greens from a farmer’s market or your own garden.
(No one will judge you if you buy the bagged stuff.)
- Make this pretty Almond, Berry, and Chicken Spinach Salad from Chelsea’s Messy Apron.
- Or use all those fresh veggies for Homemade Restaurant-Style Salsa, by GimmeSomeOven.
- They probs had kale at the prison right? Goat Cheese Lemon Pasta + Kale by Two Peas and Their Pod.
- Or dig up some carrots and make this Carrot Cake Cheesecake from Cooking Classy.
6. Crazy Cheese
I really, really, really wanted to find a homemade version of this, but sadly nothing turned up. But here are some homemade whipped cheese recipes I found instead:
- Beer-Cheese Spread from MyRecipes
- Whipped goat cheese from Bon Appetit
- Whipped feta cheese from How Sweet It Is
- Boozy Sweet Tea with Peach Moonshine by Dessert for Two.
- Make these insane Moonshine Glazed Donuts from Love and Olive Oil.
- Get your ‘shine on with these Blueberry Moonshine Popcicles from Food Republic.
- Whip up a batch of these Moonshine Sweet Tea Cupcakes from Love and Lemons.
(Don’t drink too much or you’ll end up burning things.)
- Spice up some pecans with this Sriracha Maple Pecans Recipe from Hungry Girl Por Vida
- Or sweeten them up with this recipe for Honey Glazed Pecans from Epicurious.
- Or break out your slow cooker for these Cinnamon Pecans from The Recipe Critic.
- Or stuff your face with some of these Pretzel Turtle Bites from the Pioneer Woman.
That’s it! That’s all I’ve got.
I couldn’t help thinking this round up might also be weird considering what’s rumored to be goin’ down at Terminus. But I still wanted to do some sort of TWD post, sooo here it is.
Who will survive?