I know I’ve said this a thousand times this year, but I haven’t meant to be so inactive on this blog! A lot of things have caught up with me and I’ve been taking some much needed time to relax and decompress.
But! Thanksgiving is this week and I’ve done a terrible job at promoting my new cookbook, so I thought I’d share a recipe from the book! This Apple Pecan Slab Pie is perfect for Thanksgiving for about a thousand reasons. It’s got a homemade pie crust, a filling that’s easy to stir together, and it bakes in an 9×15-inch pan. This means it’s going to feed a bigger crowd. And if your Thanksgiving is like my Thanksgiving, there will be a crowd.
You can totally go the store-bought-crust route if you need something more convenient, but you’ll probably need to purchase two packages of it. One for the pan, which will have to be reshaped into a rectangle instead of a circle, and one to make the lattice top. Not super convenient, but doable if you don’t want to bother making your own.
I’m really looking forward to Thanksgiving this year. I absolutely love that I’m a part of a big family and it’s always good times when we’re all together. When it comes to family gatherings, I’m automatically on dessert duty and people don’t even ask me for specific things anymore. I just show up with something sweet. This year I’m planning to take my Chocolate Turtle Pecan Pie, also from the cookbook 🙂
That’s all I’ve got to share today–just a quick post! Although I did actually bake a new cake specifically to share here on the blog (it’s filled with apples and cinnamon yummm), so maybe I can get that posted within the next week.
Hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving!
Apple Pecan Slab Pie
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup cold water
- 5 large Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
- pinch of salt
- EGG WASH
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- To make the pie crust, combine flour and sugar in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until crumbly. With processor running, add water one tablespoon at a time until dough comes together and forms a ball. Divide dough into two balls, shape into discs, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator 30 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll one disc of dough into a 15-inch rectangle. Lift dough using a rolling pin and arrange in a 9x15-inch baking sheet.
- Stir together filling ingredients until well blended. Spoon filling over the crust. Beat egg and milk with a fork until pale and frothy. Brush egg wash over edges of pie crust.
- Remove the second dough from the refrigerator. On a well-floured surface, roll dough into a 15-inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into uniform strips. Arrange in a lattice pattern over pie filling, pressing edges of dough together to seal. Brush egg wash over lattice crust. Sprinkle crust with raw sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let cool slightly before slicing and serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.