Super quick post today just so I can squeeze one more pie in here before Thanksgiving! I realized the other day that the Tollhouse Pie recipe I thought was on this blog was actually on my previous blog. The Collegiate Baker. Lol. Since that blog doesn’t exist anymore, and I randomly had the thought that I should make this pie with browned butter, here we are!
This pie is like an extra-gooey cookie in a crust. So it’s pretty great. I swapped regular butter for browned butter to add some warm nuttiness, and also threw in a splash of bourbon. This is a grown up cookie. Perfect for 2020 Thanksgiving, let’s be real.
I took this pie to my cousin’s house for dinner the other night, and one of their cute babies kept trying to call it a pizza. 😂 My cousin, his wife, their kids, and my parents are pretty much the only people I’ve had regular contact with all year, and I’m very thankful for these little trips to visit them and get out of my apartment!
This cookie pie is super easy to throw together, and you probably have all the ingredients for it if you bake frequently. The filling is like a slightly scaled down, slightly thinner cookie dough. You can use regular butter instead of browned, and you can skip the bourbon if you’d like. If you’re a fan of nuts in your baked goods, you could also throw in some pecans or walnuts. Serving warm is an absolute must. I also would have rather photographed it with ice cream, but whipped cream was all I had on hand when I got the sudden urge to make this. It’s also fab by itself—you really can’t go wrong!
Happy Thanksgiving and happy baking, friends! Hope you all stay safe!
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
- 1 cup browned butter (cooled until solid and then softened at room temp)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 9-inch pie crust store bought or homemade, thawed
- 1 large eggs
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees and spray a 9-inch pie plate with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a medium/large bowl with a hand held mixer), cream browned butter on medium speed until fluffy. Add both sugars; mix until combined.
- Add flour and salt. Mix on low speed until mostly combined, then medium speed until fully combined. Scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and bourbon; mix well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Arrange pie crust in the prepared pan. Spoon filling into the pie crust and smooth. Crimp or decorated edges of pie crust as desired. Mix together 1 large egg and 1 tbsp water to make an egg wash. Brush over edges of crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until pie doesn't jiggle in the center and is golden brown on top. Tent with foil after 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent access browning.
- Let pie cool slightly before serving. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
This is an easy, absolutely delicious pie that will be a hit!