Easter is almost upon us and that means it’s Cadbury Egg season! Last year Cadbury Mini Egg cookies were all the rage! Everyone had a mini egg cookie on their instagram. This year I opted for Browned Butter Mini Egg Cookie Bars. You know, to switch things up.
Plus browned butter! There is a lot of goodness going on here.
I can tell you how good these Browned Butter Mini Egg Cookie Bars are because I made them four times. LOL. They shouldn’t have been that difficult because the recipe’s adapted from that good ole Tollhouse recipe, but alas.
The first time I made them, I used an 8×8-inch square pan and they were sooo thick and good. But the thickness meant they had to bake a long time to get done in the center, and the edges were way too hard. The second time I made them in a 9×13-inch pan, and the eggs I sprinkled on top sank right into the dough while baking! So it was a nice blank top, which is fine I guess, like they still tasted great. But I wanted those pretty pastel eggs on top! The third time I decided to try my favorite thick and soft cookie recipe, but the weight of the mini eggs and the softness of the dough meant the eggs slid right out to the edges of the cookies while baking and they looked pretty wonky.
SO. Finally I did the 9×13-inch pan again, made the dough a little bit thicker, and sprinkled the mini eggs on halfway through baking for good measure.
Why did I make these into bars instead of just doing regular cookies?? I’m glad you asked. My absolute favorite kind of cookie is super thick. It’s why I’ll opt for a skillet cookie over a regular cookie any day of the week! So these bars are kind of like that. They’re just thicker! Which works well for the mini eggs because they’re much bigger than your average chocolate chip. You end up with a pan of thick and golden brown cookie that you can cut into big or small pieces and decorate however you like!
And I highly suggest serving them in big pieces that are warm and have a scoop of ice cream on top 😉
Happy baking, friends!
Browned Butter Mini Egg Cookie Bars
- 1 cup browned butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 10-oz pkg mini chocolate eggs, such as Cadbury
- Preheat oven to 325°F and spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with baking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang so you’ll be able to easily lift the bars from the pan after baking and cut into bars.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat browned butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add both sugars and vanilla. Mix until fluffy. Add eggs and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until mostly combined, then medium speed until completely combined. Stir in chocolate chips and 1 (10-oz) package of mini chocolate eggs.
- Press dough into the prepared pan. (The dough is a little sticky, so it might be helpful to spray a rubber spatula with nonstick spray and use it to spread the dough.)
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle top of dough with half of the second bag of mini chocolate eggs. Return to oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes more, or until cookie is golden brown and set in the center.
- Remove from oven and let cookie cool slightly. Lift cookie from the pan and cut into bars.
- Serve and enjoy!