Happy Friday, we’re having brownies and banana bread all in one!
Are we still baking banana bread these days? Like quarantine is still really into the banana bread, right? Because omggg I am so excited to share this one. It’s like if brownies and banana bread got married and lived happily ever after and got plenty of rest each night and attained absolute financial stability. I’m projecting a little bit, but what I’m trying to say is that it’s dreamy!
This is the best of both worlds (all worlds, any world). Both batters are stir-together so you don’t need a mixer. You get that super comforting banana bread flavor and a nice ripple of fudgy chocolate through the middle. Plus, the best part—the classic crackly brownie top.
Can we talk about this brownie swirl for a minute??? It’s heavenly! Here is a swirl tip: once you have the batters layered in the pan, start with a knife at one end of the pan and all the way through to the bottom. Move through the center of the pan to the other end while making broad up and down motions. This makes sense, hopefully???
Anyways, if you’re looking for a weekend baking project or having a treat-yourself moment, this banana bread is waiting for you to make it!
Brownie Swirled Banana Bread
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup + ½ cup chocolate chips divided
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp milk I used whole milk
Banana bread batter
- 4 large bananas mashed (about 2 cups of mashed banana)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x5 loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper and leave a few inches of overhang for lifting the loaf out of the pan once cool.
- To make the brownie batter, combine butter and ½ cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Melt on 50% power for 60 seconds. Stir, and then melt in 30 second intervals at 50% power until completely melted and smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sugar, cocoa powder, flour, egg, vanilla, and milk. Stir until just combined (do not over mix).
- To make the banana bread, combine mashed banana, oil, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add eggs and stir until just combined. Stir in vanilla. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Stir until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- To layer in the loaf pan: spoon 2 cups of banana mixture into the pan. Spoon 1 cup of the brownie batter over that, covering the banana bread batter as best as you can. Top that with the remaining two cups of banana bread mixture. Spoon the remaining brownie batter on top. (The best way to do this, in my opinion, is with a large spoon and use a drizzling back and forth motion until mostly all of the banana bread batter is covered.) Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. (If you’re worried about batter overflow, you can place the loaf pan on a baking sheet first. This should all fit in a 9x5 loaf pan though, even if it looks a little full!)
- Let loaf cool, but best served slightly warm!