What’s it been, like two weeks? Um, sorry about that!
I’ve been super busy with work and haven’t really figured out how to fit everything together. When I bake something during the week, I usually try to take some pictures outside on the back porch in the morning before running off to work. Buuut, now it’s darker in the mornings, so I’ve had to reconsider my photography situation. I tried getting home earlier and taking pictures in the evening, and I think they turned out pretty well. Woohoo!
Have you ever used Dave’s Coffee Syrup? Or have you heard of it before? I hadn’t until I got some FO FREE at work. I Googled it and apparently it’s pretty popular in Rhode Island, where the original Dave’s Coffee is located. Apparently, coffee milk is where it’s at. I put an obnoxious amount of creamer in my coffee in the mornings, so coffee milk is probably something that’s perfect for me. On the Dave’s Coffee Syrup website there are also several recipes! There are cocktails, cupcakes, and even some savory things.
My first thought was, What can I bake with this? It’s a pretty common thought for me. Like, this morning I got a pretty nice bottle of lemon sour and was like, cupcaaaakes. By the way — how weird is it that there aren’t any cupcakes on bethcakes yet? They were like every other post on my old blog. So watch out. 😉
I really don’t make muffins that often. I don’t think I ever posted any on TCB. So these are kind of a first? Is that too ridiculous?
But seriously, sneaking more coffee into the breakfast routine is never a bad thing, right? This coffee syrup is made from brewed coffee, so there’s definitely some caffeine under those chocolate chips. I used regular sized chocolate chips, but I think mini chips would have been perfect! Plus they’re mini, so using more of them is completely acceptable. This recipe also uses plain Greek yogurt instead of oil, so they’re actually healthier than most of the things on this site. Not sure if that’s going to be a recurring thing, but we’ll see. 🙂
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Dave's Coffee Syrup
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Chocolate chips to sprinkle on top (or stir into) muffin batter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and lightly mist with nonstick spray.
- In one bowl, combine flour and baking soda and whisk carefully.
- In another bowl, combine both sugars, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Mix until incorporated.
- Add coffee syrup and warm water and mix until incorporated.
- Next, add the egg and mix well.
- Add flour mixture to coffee syrup mixture in two stages, mixing well and scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Scoop muffin batter into paper liners, about 3/4 full. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until you can insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin and it comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool.
- Muffins are best if they're still a little warm.