Fun post today for Valentine’s Day!
I’ve really been loving all of the smaller batch recipes going around the internets lately. Baking for smaller groups of people and just those in your household is one trend that I hope continues, and I plan to include more smaller batch recipes on the blog going forward!
This year’s Valentine’s Day is a great opportunity to have a nice and cozy night in. Even if you’re single! Especially if you’re single! I know living alone for all of 2020 was really hard for me (and I’m a super introverted person), so if you’re alone this year or stuck quarantined away from your family, hopefully you can take this as an opportunity to treat yourself.
Valentine’s to me is the ultimate self-care holiday, whether you’re in a relationship or not. Flowers, a delicious home-cooked meal or take-out from your favorite local restaurant, a fancy dessert. Bubble bath? Glass of wine? Candles? All of the above! Cheesy rom-com or a good book. Going to bed early. Lol, whatever floats your boat!
Personally, Valentine’s = chocolate, so these cupcakes are the perfect treat! This recipe makes exactly two super-chocolaty cupcakes. With homemade frosting too. One for you and one for your sweetie. Or both for you! It’s Valentine’s 2021, you can do whatever you want! I’m saying the chocolate drizzle is optional—just depends on how many dishes you want to dirty. Also because it’s 2021 and some people are tired of cooking at home! I gotchu.
Anyways, the cake part of these are one bowl! And the frosting comes together easily with a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, whichever you prefer! Top with your favorite sprinkles or some chocolate curls for a perfectly decadent Valentine’s treat.
Love and sprinkles,
Chocolate Cupcakes for Two
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp beaten egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk I used whole milk
- ¼ cup half a stick butter, softened
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and add two paper cupcake liners to a 6-cup cupcake pan (or a 12-cup cupcake pan). Fill the remaining empty cavities halfway with water to help prevent the pan from warping.
- In a small or medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the egg, oil, vanilla, and milk. Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated. Divide batter between the two paper liners. Bake for 14 to 15 minutes, or until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (a couple of crumbs are okay). Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, cream butter in a medium-sized bowl on medium-high speed with a mixer. Add cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mix on low speed until mostly combined, and then medium-high/high speed until completely combined. Mix for an additional couple of minutes, or until frosting is smooth and fluffy.
- To make the chocolate drizzle, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir, and microwave for 15 more seconds on 50% power. Stir until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and garnish with sprinkles or chocolate curls, if desired.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container.