As food bloggers do, today we’re celebrating Pi Day with pie. Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Pie! And let me tell you something. This is the best pie I’ve ever made. I’m calling it. Goodbye cream cheese, pudding mix, and cool whip pies. Your days are over. I’m kind of sorry, but I’m not really at all. 🙂
I wanted to put my own little spin on it, so the main thing I did differently was add peanut butter to pretty much everything. I used peanut butter Oreos for the crust, added peanut butter to the chocolate mousse filling, and topped the pie with peanut butter whipped cream! Plus mini Reese’s cups and the remainder of the Oreos. Um, yum.
The mousse filling is a little more work than your average no-bake pie, but I think it’s 100% worth it. You basically make a meringue and fold it into some melted chocolate and peanut butter. Then you fold in some homemade whipped cream. It is so perfectly fluffy and just the best texture. I swear, no-bake pies are completely ruined for me now and I’m totally fine with it. Mousse pies are the way to go!
One last thing – as you can see from the pictures, I used a tart pan to make this pie, but I think it will definitely be easier to slice and serve if you use a pie plate. I’m gonna be real with you, my pie plate is buried in a box of baking pans in the back of my storage closet and I was too lazy to dig it out lol. Go with a pie plate.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER MOUSSE PIE
peanut butter oreo crust
- 1 15.25-oz package peanut butter creme-filled Oreos, need 18 for crust
- 4 tbsp butter melted
chocolate peanut butter mousse filling
- 2 4-oz semi sweet chocolate bars, chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 2.5-oz packages mini Reese's cups, cut in half
- remaining Oreos crushed
- chocolate syrup or hot fudge or ganache optional
peanut butter whipped cream
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
for the crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a pie plate with cooking spray.
- Place Oreos in a food processor and process until fine crumbs form. Combine crumbs and butter in a medium-sized bowl and stir until crumbs are evenly coated.
- Press crust into the prepared pie plate. Bake 18 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool completely.
- (I did this step the night before. Once the crust has cooled, cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.)
for the filling
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-safe dish and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Place peanut butter in a heat-safe dish and microwave for 15 seconds, or until runny. Stir into melted chocolate.
- Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a heat-safe bowl (I used my metal stand mixer bowl). Boil two inches of water in a medium saucepan and set the bowl on top. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the boiling water. Whisk egg white mixture continuously until sugar has dissolved, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whip egg white mixture on high speed with an electric mixer (I used my stand mixer with the whisk attachment) until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Fold meringue into the melted chocolate/peanut butter. (The mixture will be thick and your arm might get tired from stirring!)
- Clean stand mixer bowl and whisk attachment. (Or use a new bowl and clean electric mixer beaters.) Add heavy whipping cream to bowl and mix on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into the meringue mixture.
- Add half of mousse filling to the prepared pie crust. Spread with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle with half of Reese's cups and crushed Oreos. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Top with remaining filling and spread over Reese's cups and Oreos.
peanut butter whipped cream
- Warm peanut butter in a heat-safe dish in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Beat heavy whipping cream on high speed with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment.
- With mixer running, add vanilla, powdered sugar, and peanut butter. Mix until stiff peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream on top of pie and sprinkle with remaining Reese's cups and Oreos. Drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Chill pie in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Cut into slices to serve. Store covered in the refrigerator.
Oh my goodness, that looks heavenly!
Rachel @ Bakerita says
This pie is my version of heaven – I’m such a chocolate peanut butter addict! I wish I had a slice of this to dig into today. You’re doing Pi Day right!
Wow this looks like something special.