I have a million different cinnamon-related recipes on the blog at this point, but can’t stop won’t stop. This Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake is the latest addition brought to you courtesy of my cinnamon obsession. Super moist spice cake, brown sugar-cinnamon swirl through the middle, and plenty of vanilla glaze on top. It’s perfect for year-round enjoyment, but also I just love a spice cake during the holidays!
The cake comes together easily and is a little different than my preferred oil-based recipe. This cake batter starts by creaming together butter and sugar, and then adding a little bit of oil just to ensure the cake is moist and soft. No dry cakes here!
In addition to the cinnamon swirl, the cake itself is also flavored with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. If I’d had some apple pie spice or pumpkin spice, a teaspoon and a half of one of those would work. Or chai spice! You can use a combo of your favorites! Just keep it around 1 3/4 to 2 teaspoons of spice.
the cinnamon swirl
Arguably the best part, the swirl is easy and just two ingredients! Brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan, sprinkle the filling evenly over the top, and spoon the rest of the batter over the filling. To create the swirl, run a knife through the center of the bundt pan and slowly move it up and down as you go through the batter.
I think this cake could definitely be enjoyed without the glaze or any kind of topping, but glaze is always a good choice. I used vanilla extract here, but it would also be excellent with some vanilla bean paste instead!
My all-time favorite bundt pan is the NordicWare Anniversary Bundt, but any 12-cup bundt pan will do! To make sure the cake comes out of the pan easily, make sure to use butter and flour, and make sure to get in all the creases. Works like a charm!
This Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake is perfect with a cup of coffee or glaze of milk, and pairs well with cozy blankets and chilly winter afternoons. Also, I will never judge you if you have some for breakfast.
Happy baking, friends!
More Cinnamon Recipes:
Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease the inside of a 12-cup bundt pan with butter. Flour the inside of the pan, making sure all creases and center section have a thin coating of flour.
To make the cinnamon-swirl filling
- Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Set aside.
To make the spice cake
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until creamy and lighter in color. Add oil, vanilla, and eggs; mix until just combined.
- Next, add flour, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With mixer running on medium-low, slowly pour in buttermilk and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour half of batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar filling evenly over the batter. Use a large spoon or spring-loaded scoop to spoon the remaining cake batter over the cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until center is set and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bundt cake comes out clean (a couple of crumbs are okay). Let cake cool in pan 15 to 20 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and spoon over the cooled cake.
- Store cake in a sealed container at room temperature.
follow along with me: