TGIF, y’all! I felt like today would be a good day for cookies. I’ve mentioned a million times now that cookies have never been my forte. I have much more experience with cakes, and getting a perfectly dense and chewy cookie has always alluded me.
Until now. I present to you: Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies.
How weird is it that I’ve had this blog for TEN YEARS and I don’t have a classic CCC recipe?? I feel like that’s food blogger heresy or something.
After lots of cookie recipes this year on the blog (one, two, three, just to name a few!), I finally decided to go back to a classic and basic chocolate chip cookie recipe. And I’m happy to say these are my *ideal* chocolate chip cookie. Earlier this year, I was pretty into the soft and thick kind of cookie. These are not that. They’re dense and chewy and a little crisp around the edges. That softer center is something I could never quite get down right before, but these cookies check all the required boxes.
about these classic chocolate chip cookies
There are a lot of chocolate cookie recipes out there these days. How are these different? Why should you make these over other CCC recipes?? Well, I’ll tell you.
These cookies are:
- Packed with dark brown sugar. Some cookie recipes have a combination of sugars, but I went with one to really amp up the brown sugar flavor. You can use light brown sugar if that’s what you have, but dark brown is the way to go here!
- A teaspoon of cornstarch in the dough is how we get that really dense and chewy center.
- You don’t have to chill the dough! You absolutely can, and you’ll get a little bit thicker cookie if you do, but it’s not necessary.
- Because of that, these cookies are pretty easy and quick to whip up from start to finish. Meaning you can have warm and freshly baked cookies in like 30 minutes!?? Yes!
- To achieve the ultimate cookie experience, a few more chocolate chips are pressed into the dough before baking. This is more for aesthetic purposes than anything, but also more chocolate chips is never a bad thing. A final sprinkling of sea salt after baking completes the look and adds a little extra flavor in every bite.
These Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect for your weekend! They’re the ultimate lazy girl cookie. Like you can make them fancier if you want, but they’re seriously so good all on their own. Chopped pecans or peanut butter would be excellent additions as well.
Happy weekend and happy baking!
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips plus more for tops
- Sea salt for tops
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two to three baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed with a mixer until combined and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs; mix until just combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and salt. Add half of flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until just combined, and then medium speed until completely combined. Repeat with second half of flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop (I used a 2 tablespoon scoop), scoop dough onto the prepared baking sheet, arranging 2-inches apart. Press about 5 to 6 additional chocolate chips onto the top of each ball of dough.
- Bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp around the edges. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cookies cool on pans for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
follow along with me: