It’s my birthday week, so I figured this would be the perfect time to share my best Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting! It’s nostalgic, it’s classic, it’s delicious. This is my tried-and-true, go-to recipe and I base pretty much all of my cakes on it. It never fails and always produces a soft and tender crumb. The oil keeps it moist, and the vanilla and cake batter extract give it that classic flavor. It also happens to be one bowl, meaning low energy and easy clean up! All major check marks in my book. You can’t beat it! Obviously it’s great for birthdays, but it’s so easy to tailor it to any occasion. Spice cake, layered with fruit, swap the frosting. Definitely a staple you need in your baking arsenal!
More Cake Recipes
Classic Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter/cake flavoring
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 8-oz pkg shortening
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder *
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 5 cups powdered sugar
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour three 8-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add oil, eggs, vanilla, cake flavoring, and buttermilk. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until blended and all dry ingredients are incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Divide batter evenly among cake pans. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until cakes are golden brown and set in the center. (Test by inserting a toothpick into the center of each cake layer. If it comes out clean, they're done!)
- Let cakes cool in pans for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- Cream butter on medium-high speed with an electric mixer. With mixer running, add shortening in chunks. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add cocoa powder, vanilla, and cream. Mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add half of the powdered sugar and mix until well blended. Repeat with second half of powdered sugar, and mix for 1 minute.
- Spread frosting between cake layers and over outside of cake. Pipe frosting on top if desired. Decorate with sprinkles!
- Store covered at room temperature.
Follow along with me