I was scrolling through this list the other day, organizing it into a Google spreadsheet (because it had gotten a little unruly and let’s be honest, my first approach to fixing life’s problems is Google spreadsheet), and I came across this mocha doughnut tiramisu. It’s something that’s been on the list for a while, so I knew I *had* to make it for Cate’s surprise baby shower! Cate of Chez Catey Lou is having a baby girl, so some of us bloggers got together to share recipes inspired by Cate! And if you follow her blog at all, you know she’s the queen of doughnuts.
I am glad, though, that I can now say I’ve tried this recipe both ways, and the baked version is just as good. I actually used a little doughnut maker kind of like this one, but if you have a doughnut pan, I think that’d work too. The baking time will probably just be a little longer. Sadly I think those are pretty much your only options for making cute, little, homemade doughnuts.
I really love the way this tiramisu turned out, especially with the doughnuts around the outside. It makes my heart so happy! So to Cate, congratulations and best wishes with the rest of your pregnancy! I know your cute little baby girl will make your heart happy, and just think of all the homemade doughnuts you can make together in the future. 🙂
Mocha Doughnut Tiramisu
chocolate cake doughnuts
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz block cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Kahlua
- 1 cup whipping cream
for assembling the tiramisu
- 1 cup brewed coffee cooled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
coffee whipped cream
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder finely crushed
- 1 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
chocolate cake doughnuts
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat eggs on medium speed with an electric mixer until frothy. Add sugar and mix well.
- Whisk together milk, butter, and vanilla. Add half of milk mixture and half of flour mixture to the egg/sugar mixture. Mix until combined. Repeat with remaining milk mixture and flour mixture.
- Preheat doughnut maker according to instructions. (If using a doughnut pan, preheat oven to 350*F and spray doughnut pan with nonstick spray. I didn't make mine this way, but I'd start out baking them for around 10 minutes and check.)
- Transfer batter to a piping bag (or Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off) and pipe into doughnut maker. Bake until puffed and done. Let doughnuts cool completely on a wire rack.
- **The number of doughnuts this recipe makes will depend on the size of your doughnut pan/doughnut maker. I ended up with *way* more doughnuts than I needed.
- Beat cream cheese on medium speed with an electric mixer. Add powdered sugar and Kahlua; mix well.
- In another bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix whipping cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.
- Dip doughnuts in cooled coffee until each side is soaked. Cover the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with coffee-dipped doughnuts, and line the edges of the pan with dry doughnuts.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese filling over the doughnuts. Dust generously with cocoa powder. Repeat layers one more time.
for the coffee whipped cream
- Stir espresso powder into the cream and let it dissolve.
- In a bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix whipping cream on medium-high speed until frothy. Slowly add powdered sugar while mixer is running. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Pipe whipped cream over tiramisu and dust with cocoa powder.
Baked Lemon Donuts – What Jessica Baked Next
Biscoff Donuts – Baking a Moment
Chai Donuts – Fresh April Flours
Chocolate Cake S’mores Donuts – Jessica in the Kitchen
Chocolate Pretzel Donuts – The Emotional Baker
Coconut Matcha Donuts with White Chocolate Glaze – Blahnik Baker
Coffee and Donuts Breakfast Bake – The Cookie Rookie
Doughnut Tiramisu – bethcakes
GF Lemon Donuts with Raspberry Glaze – Thoroughly Nourished Life
Maple Glazed Donut Holes – Hall Nesting
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cake Donuts – American Heritage Cooking
Paleo Chocolate Frosted Donuts – A Clean Bake
Raspberry Jam Filled Cupcakes – gotta get baked
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Donut Breakfast Sandwich – Shared Appetite
Strawberry Margarita Oreo Donuts – Life Made Sweeter
Baked Mini Samoa Donuts – Culinary Couture
Donut Holes with Sweet Strawberry Dipping Sauce – Twin Stripe
Rachel @ Bakerita says
I was seriously dyingggg watching this come together on snapchat this weekend! My roommate and I were totally drooling. So genius! Love all those cute doughnuts around the side 🙂
Yay! That makes me feel better, I feel so awkward on snapchat hahaha. Thanks so much, Rachel! 🙂
Gah this tiramisu is so so cool Beth! I love the whole thing but that coffee whipped cream??? Amazing.
Thanks so much, Ashley! The coffee whipped cream was a last minute thought and I’m pretty ok with it 😉
Jess @ Sweetest Menu says
Beth! I am exactly the same, I have lists of baking ideas everywhere but an especially long one on my phone – you just never know when the ideas are going to come. Looks like you had a stroke of genius with this idea, donut tiramisu? It’s magical! Pinned!
I feel like my quality of life has improved since I reorganized my list hahaha. Thanks so much for pinning, Jess!
Lynn @ Fresh April Flours says
OHHHH, yes. Sign me up for anything that involves dunking in coffee. That’s my kinda recipe! This is so creative, Beth! I love it!
Thanks so much, Lynn! 🙂
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
WHOA. This is next level! Donuts in tiramisu? Yum, so genius!
Next level is what I was going for 😉 Thanks so much, Medha!
Nancy @ gottagetbaked says
Ermagawd, Beth, your tiramisu is all kinds of genius! I love love love the you used your own chocolate cake doughnuts in lieu of the standard lady fingers. It’s absolutely beautiful, especially with the ring of doughnuts on the outside.
Thanks so much, Nancy! The doughnuts around the outside were totally the inspiration behind the whole thing. 🙂
Julianne @ Beyond Frosting says
Let’s be real, this is the BEST Tiramisu I’ve ever seen
Ahhh yas! Thanks, Julianne! 🙂
Lindsey @ American Heritage Cooking says
This cake is the COOLEST thing!! I love how the layers look when it is cut. Absolutely stunning! Such a great idea! Pinned!
Thanks so much for pinning, Lindsey! 🙂
Cate | Chez CateyLou says
Beth, what a creative use of donuts – I absolutely love this!! Thank you so much for my surprise shower!! You are the sweetest, and I am so honored. I wish we could enjoy a big slice of this together! Also, I totally keep a running list of recipe ideas in my phone….it is a disaster! haha!
Yay! Cate, I’m so glad you like it. Your wonderful donut creations totally inspired it. Congrats to you and your family, best wishes! 🙂
Holy smokes!! This is just incredible! I have got to make this ASAP! It is the best of breakfast and dessert!
I DIDN’T EVEN THINK ABOUT THIS AS A BREAKFAST OPTION. Omg. 🙂
Jenna @ A Savory Feast says
This is quite possibly the cutest cake I’ve ever seen! What a fun idea to use donuts. It looked so cool when you cut into it!
Thanks so much, Jenna! 🙂
I am just blown away by this donut creation. It’s just amazing!! I keep a running Google doc too of recipe ideas and I just thought to myself as I was reading this that I’ve been meaning to make a good ole fashioned funfetti cupcake. So I’m off to update my list 🙂
Thanks so much, Zainab! Lemme know if you need some taste testers for that funfetti cake 😉
That looks scrumptious. 🙂
Thank you! 🙂
Meriem @ Culinary Couture says
I am blown away by this creation Beth!! It’s stunning and I bet just as yummy too!!
Thanks so much, Meriem! 🙂
What a clever idea! Love this!
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
I keep an ongoing list of baking ideas, too! This tiramisu is awesome and gorgeous as usual 🙂
Tiramisu is my absolute favorite. Fun idea, to combine them with donuts, also my favorite. 🙂 Thanks for this, I’m bookmarking it.
Jessica @ Jessica in the Kitchen says
Yum!!! Beth this Tiramisu is so beautiful and such an amazing idea with the doughnuts. Love it! You’re so creative!