It’s a new week, and we’re starting it off with pound cake! Stuffed with cheesecake because why not.
There is a similar lemon loaf in my cookbook, but I wanted to do a brand new version of it for two reasons. The first is that I finally found some meyer lemons at my grocery store! And the second is because the cake part of that recipe is really too fluffy and soft to be a pound cake (even though that’s what it’s called). And I wanted to do a true pound cake. Like buttery and dense.
So here we are! True to its name, this pound cake is thick and delicious and the cheesecake layer adds the perfect touch of creamy to all that denseness. And the glaze! It is so good. This loaf has got it all going on.
I really love winter citrus season because it just adds such a nice pop of color and warmth to the winter months. It’s been rainy, gray, and chilly here for the past week, but these meyer lemons have such bright and happy vibes. And that is the kind of energy we need in 2021!
Also, my parents raved about this recipe. I feel like they’re probably a little biased, but we’re more of a chocoholics family so I feel like those kind of reviews from them about something lemony and citrusy probably holds up! Personally, I kept sneaking tiny corners off of these slices every time I went into the kitchen. Get a little bit of glaze, pound cake, and cheesecake all in one bite and it’s truly *chef’s kiss*.
Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Pound Cake
- 1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp lemon extract
Meyer Lemon Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup meyer lemon juice
- 2 tbsp meyer lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving enough overhang on the sides to help remove the loaf after baking. Spray with cooking spray.
- Beat cream cheese on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar, egg, and lemon extract. Mix until well blended, set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and yogurt. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until combined. Add lemon juice, zest, and extract. Mix well. Add flour, baking powder, salt; mix until incorporated.
- Pour half of cake batter into the prepared pan. Dollop cheesecake mixture over cake batter and smooth with a spoon. Top with remaining cake batter.
- Bake 55 5o 60 minutes, or until cake is golden brown and set in the center. Tent with foil after 20 to 30 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning. A toothpick inserted in the center of the cake should come out with only a few crumbs. Let loaf cool in pan 15-20 minutes. Lift loaf from pan by the parchment and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and meyer lemon juice until smooth. Drizzle glaze over pound cake.