Happy Tuesday, friends! I hope you all had the most wonderfully relaxing and lovely holiday weekend. We did a whole lot of nothing really. Just grilled a bunch, I made fresh daiquiris (yum), and spent a lot of time soaking in the glorious weather on the back porch.
But it’s a new week! And we’re starting it off with my favorite banana bread recipe. I had some leftover bananas that needed to be used up, and recently I’ve been dreaming of a super moist banana bread loaf chock full of chocolate chips. Like overflowing.
This is a great base banana bread recipe that you can build off of and add whatever stir-ins you want. I did mini chocolate chips here, but it’s really a blank canvas just waiting for all of your wildest banana bread flavor combination dreams! I’ve done brownie batter and hummingbird varieties. I really wanna do one with a thick ribbon of cinnamon sugar through the middle. And double chocolate—chocolate with chocolate chips. Seriously, whatever you want works will for this banana bread base.
Things to know
Dry ingredients: We’re using your typical dry ingredients here. All-purpose flour, granulated sugar, a bit of light brown sugar, baking powder for lift, a pinch of salt, and a dash of ground cinnamon.
Wet ingredients: We’ve got vegetable oil so we can easily stir everything together in one bowl, two large eggs, Greek yogurt (the secret ingredient), and two cups of mashed banana. This is about four large bananas, for reference.
Chocolate chips: I specifically used mini chocolate chips here so they wouldn’t sink to the bottom of the pan while baking.
And that’s it! Store covered at room temp, if it lasts long enough for that!
My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups mashed banana (about 4 large bananas)
- 1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment, leaving a few inches of overhang on the side so it will be easy to life the banana bread out of the pan once it's done.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, both sugars, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Add oil, eggs, yogurt, and mashed banana. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until all ingredients are combined. Stir in 1 1/4 cups mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips over the top of the batter. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set in the center and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean (a few crumbs are okay). Tent foil over pan if banana bread gets too brown around the edges. Let loaf cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store covered at room temperature.
follow along with me: