I’ve got the perfect thing to get you through the week: the best brownies of all time. My Favorite Brownies! Can you believe I don’t have a straight up classic brownie recipe on this site? (Aside from the small batch brownies.) Once I realized this, it had to be remedied immediately. These babies are rich, fudgy, studded with chocolate chips, and have that iconic crackly brownie top. They’re the real deal.
BETTER THAN A BOX MIX
Listen. This is serious coming from me. One of the reasons why I’ve never posted a classic brownie recipe on this blog is because, growing up, my mom and I used doctored up box mixes and there was NO contest. Best brownies ever. We used to bring them to everything and everyone always asked us to make them. Why mess with a good thing? Why even consider using a different recipe when they turned out perfect every single time? I’m not going to lie: they’re still some of my favorite brownies.
But. I’ve been wanting to create my own from-scratch version of those brownies and I’ve finally messed with this recipe enough to share it! These are my favorite brownies made from scratch. And I do think they’re even better than the box mix. They’re super fudgy and indulgent and exactly what I think of when I’m struck with a brownie craving. Especially if you under-bake them slightly! They’re like a warm, chocolaty, nostalgic hug.
My Favorite Brownies start by melting butter and chocolate together in the microwave. Then everything else is thrown in: granulated and brown sugar, cocoa power, flour, salt, eggs, vanilla. Plus extra chocolate folded in, obviously. I kept trying to think of ways I could dress these up, like adding a peanut butter or cheesecake swirl. I’m so glad I didn’t. Classic is the best way to go sometimes.
I baked these in a 10″ x 5″ rectangle pan, but I know that’s not your average rectangle pan. You can also make them in a 9″ x 9″ square pan, just know they’ll probably need to bake a little longer. I wouldn’t make these in a 9″ x 13″ because they’d be too thin. I also made a batch of these in a heart cupcake pan over the weekend, so like, definitely don’t be afraid to make these in whatever fun pans you have!
I’m eating one of these brownies with my coffee this morning, so you absolutely have my permission to do something indulgent for yourself today. ❤️ Happy baking, friends!
My Favorite Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 6 oz chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup additional chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10” x 5” rectangle pan (or 9” x 9” square pan) with baking spray and line with parchment paper, leaving a couple of inches of overhang so the finished brownies can be lifted easily from the pan.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter and chocolate. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each, until butter and chocolate are melted and smooth.
- Add both sugars and whisk well to combine.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, salt, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until ingredients are just combined. Fold in chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until center is set. (If you like your brownies slightly underbaked, take them out around 35 minutes.)
- Let brownies cool in pan, then cut into squares to serve. Store covered at room temperature.
follow along with me: