SUMMER and HEAT mean ICE CREAM. And it has been HOT here. Like multiple fans running throughout the house and baking in the mornings only kind of hot.
But the great thing about ice cream is that it doesn’t require any heat at all. And this recipe is no churn! I have several no churn ice cream recipes here on the blog, and recently I noticed a coffee ice cream from a few years ago that I did in partnership with a local brand needed some updating. The recipe was actually hosted on the brand’s website, and I had just posted some images with a link to it. Well that brand’s website no longer exists. And I didn’t save the recipe anywhere else.
So here we are! And if you’re a fellow coffee lover like me, this ice cream will drastically improve your summer. Just trust me on this.
This recipe is a little different than the previous one I did. The old one used a coffee concentrate, and this time I went with instant coffee. And some kahlua because it seemed necessary. I also whipped up a ganache and drizzled it throughout, so you get delicious chocolaty ribbons in every scoop.
What You Need:
Instant coffee: I used Folger’s because it’s what I already had on hand, but you can literally use any kind you like.
Kahlua: Not required, especially if you want this ice cream to be kid friendly, but definitely adds a little something extra.
Ganache: Chocolate chips and some heavy cream are melted together in a saucepan and then cool to room temp. Ganache is really pretty simple to make, but you could also use a store bought fudge sauce or something similar if you’d like!
Sweetened condensed milk: This is 50% of our ice cream base and where the sweetness comes from.
Heavy cream: This is the other half, and it’s whipped up nice and fluffy. It adds volume and creaminess to our ice cream.
This ice cream has such a creamy and soft texture. It’s a little softer than store bought ice cream, but much thicker than actual soft serve. As you can see, it was very hot in my kitchen and I was trying frantically to photograph everything before it melted! It has a nice coffee flavor all on it’s own, but look at that chocolate ripple! I mean 😍😍😍
This ice cream is gonna be your new best friend on those sweltering summer afternoons! Perfect summer weekend treat too. Or if you’re a fellow coffee addict. Imagine how good this would be in affogato! Or just like a scoop to top a foamy cold brew?? I feel like we’re on to something here, friends.
No Churn Chocolate Coffee Ice Cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
Coffee Ice Cream:
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp kahlua
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together chocolate chips and heavy cream. Continue stirring slowly until chocolate has melted and cream is completely incorporated. Remove from heat and let ganache cool completely.
- To make the ice cream, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, instant coffee, and kahlua in a large bowl. Make sure instant coffee dissolves completely.
- In another bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, whip heavy cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into the sweetened condensed milk mixture until completely combined.
- Spoon ⅓ of the ice cream mixture in the bottom of a 9x5-inch loaf pan and smooth with a spoon or rubber spatula. Drizzle with ⅓ of the ganache. Repeat these layers two more times until loaf pan is full.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and transfer to the freezer. Freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight. When ready to serve, let the ice cream thaw for a couple of minutes. (It will be slightly softer than store bought ice cream.) Enjoy!
follow along with me: