And it was (and still is!) an exciting time for Birmingham. There are revitalizations going on all across town. I feel like new businesses and restaurants are opening every week. There is still so much new growing in this city, which is wonderful to witness. When I was younger, downtown was unsafe. It was dangerous and dark and corrupt. And now it’s happy and vibrant and full of marathons, pop ups, farmers markets, and festivals. That was our second main goal for this blogging group–celebrating our new community.
I’ve learned a lot over the past year about what it takes to run a successful blogging community. Honestly, I don’t spend as much time on it as I would like to, but Meredith, Molly, and Rachel are holding down the fort too. We’ve learned about planning events, booking speakers, and most recently, getting sponsors. I don’t know why that was so daunting to me, but it worked out for the best!
So tonight we’re having a grand ole celebration at The Nest for all the people who make this blogging group so fabulous. There will be pizza and bbq (duh). We’re giving away gift baskets full of fabulous local products from small businesses and restaurants. We’ll have dranks and minlge and dance the night away to our Celebratory Pop Anthems Songza station.
It was inspired by my three cake heros, I am Baker, Sweetapolita, and Katherine Sabbath. It’s just a white cake with vanilla frosting, but there are crushed lavender meringues between the cake layers and a foundtain of purple ganache on top. Then there’s the mountain of meringues on top with a boat load of sprinkles. Silver metalic birthday candles complete the look and were completely necessary!
Purple Party Cake
- One batch of this white cake with out the cookie butter cups:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cream or milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- One bag of purple candy melts chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Silver sugar sprinkles
- Silver pearl sprinkles
- Purple sugar sprinkles
- Lavender meringues:
- Prepare cake batter according to recipe instructions. Bake in four 6 inch pans for 20-22 minutes. Let cake layers cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and cream; mix well. Add half of the powdered sugar, mix on low speed until just combined, and then medium speed until completely combined. Repeat with the second half of the powdered sugar. Frost cooled cake layers.
- Add purple candy melts to a heat-resistant bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring offten, until simmering. Pour cream over candy melts and let it sit for five minutes. Then whisk until smooth. Let ganache cool before pouring over it over the cake; ganache will thicken slightly as it cools.
- Once cool, pour the ganache onto the center of the cake and let it spread outward. Stop pouring before the ganache reaches the edge so it will fall over the edge nicely.
- Use mergines and a variety of sprinkles to decorate. Enjoy!
Congratulations on the one year anniversary of Birmingham Bloggers! The cake is spectacular!
Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says
I freaking love this as purple is my favorite! That purple ganache is calling to me. Perfect timing too because my 30th bday is coming up in less than two weeks
Julia @ Sprinkled With Jules says
This cake is awesome!! I love all the frills you added to it, it’s so fun! And congrats on your success with your blogging group.
Rachel @ Bakerita says
I adore this gorgeous cake, Beth! I need to try decorating with meringues…they look so cute. I wish I was a part of your blogging community – that sounds too fun! Pinned 🙂
What a stunning cake!!! Love the purple meringues on top! And girl….what a great group!!!
Birmingham Bloggers has become a vibrant community. You all should be very proud of what you have accomplished. Save me some of that luscious cake. I am proud to be a member. 🙂
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
Congrats! This looks lovely. You seriously take decorating over the top- those meringues are stunning!
yay! Happy 1 year Birmingham Bloggers! You guys are doing such awesome things and I’m so happy to be apart of it. Plus that cake looks amazing!
Annie @Maebells says
Beth this is beautiful!! You have totally outdone yourself!
I am in Nashville, we should get the Nashville Bloggers group and the Birmingham Bloggers together for some kind of Southern Bloggers event!! It would be so fun! 🙂
Chris @ Shared Appetite says
What an absolutely stunning cake!! And I’m super impressed that you started your own blogging community… congrats to you!!! That’s really awesome that you’re already celebrating 1 year!
That is one gorgeous cake! You’re amazing!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
What a stunning cake! Perfect for celebrating your hard work and the growth of your blogging community!
Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures says
What an adorable cake! It’s a perfect way to celebrate!