And it was (and still is!) an exciting time for Birmingham. There are revitalizations going on all across town. I feel like new businesses and restaurants are opening every week. There is still so much new growing in this city, which is wonderful to witness. When I was younger, downtown was unsafe. It was dangerous and dark and corrupt. And now it’s happy and vibrant and full of marathons, pop ups, farmers markets, and festivals. That was our second main goal for this blogging group–celebrating our new community.
I’ve learned a lot over the past year about what it takes to run a successful blogging community. Honestly, I don’t spend as much time on it as I would like to, but Meredith, Molly, and Rachel are holding down the fort too. We’ve learned about planning events, booking speakers, and most recently, getting sponsors. I don’t know why that was so daunting to me, but it worked out for the best!
So tonight we’re having a grand ole celebration at The Nest for all the people who make this blogging group so fabulous. There will be pizza and bbq (duh). We’re giving away gift baskets full of fabulous local products from small businesses and restaurants. We’ll have dranks and minlge and dance the night away to our Celebratory Pop Anthems Songza station.
It was inspired by my three cake heros, I am Baker, Sweetapolita, and Katherine Sabbath. It’s just a white cake with vanilla frosting, but there are crushed lavender meringues between the cake layers and a foundtain of purple ganache on top. Then there’s the mountain of meringues on top with a boat load of sprinkles. Silver metalic birthday candles complete the look and were completely necessary!
Purple Party Cake
- One batch of this white cake with out the cookie butter cups:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cream or milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- One bag of purple candy melts chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Silver sugar sprinkles
- Silver pearl sprinkles
- Purple sugar sprinkles
- Lavender meringues:
- Prepare cake batter according to recipe instructions. Bake in four 6 inch pans for 20-22 minutes. Let cake layers cool completely before frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and cream; mix well. Add half of the powdered sugar, mix on low speed until just combined, and then medium speed until completely combined. Repeat with the second half of the powdered sugar. Frost cooled cake layers.
- Add purple candy melts to a heat-resistant bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring offten, until simmering. Pour cream over candy melts and let it sit for five minutes. Then whisk until smooth. Let ganache cool before pouring over it over the cake; ganache will thicken slightly as it cools.
- Once cool, pour the ganache onto the center of the cake and let it spread outward. Stop pouring before the ganache reaches the edge so it will fall over the edge nicely.
- Use mergines and a variety of sprinkles to decorate. Enjoy!