I promise after these Red Velvet Cookies and Cream Brownies, I’ll take a little break from red velvet desserts. 😂 Just wanted to squeeze one more in before Valentine’s is over!
I saw so many people posting red velvet brownie recipes the past two weeks, and even though many of these recipes clearly already exist, it really made me want to try my hand at it. I wanted to make mine a little different somehow, so I combined my red velvet obsession with my cookies and cream obsession and ended up with these babies. This is the only kind of math I do.
Are these brownies a little much, a little over the top? Maybe. Probably. Are they a fun and indulgent treat for (myself) Valentine’s? Absolutely.
ABOUT THIS RECIPE ❤️
The base for these brownies is super easy and even a little bit simpler than the classic fudgy brownies I shared recently. We’re not melting any chocolate to mix into this recipe, so that eliminates the step where you melt chocolate and butter together until smooth. Instead, we just start out with some melted butter and everything is mixed into that: sugar, and then eggs and vanilla. Then food coloring, and then dry ingredients. And we finish up by folding in some chopped Oreos. Yum and yum.
Cookies & Cream & other mix ins
I’ve mentioned many times on this here blog that I love how Oreos get all soft when you bake them into stuff, and this recipe is no exception. However, my red velvet obsessed self also really wants to try these as plain red velvet brownies some day. I think they’d be just as good all on their own! Maybe with some cream cheese frosting or glaze.
I think you could also leave out the cookies and stir some milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips OR white chocolate chips into the batter and those would all be excellent choices as well.
We enjoyed these Red Velvet Cookies and Cream Brownies over the weekend with our afternoon coffee and those are the kind of warm and fuzzy vibes I’m wishing for you on this Valentine’s Day, friends! Happy baking!
Red Velvet Cookies and Cream Brownies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 - 1 ½ tbsp red gel food coloring
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups quartered chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 cup quartered chocolate sandwich cookies for the top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8x8” baking pan with baking spray and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar until smooth and glossy.
- Add eggs and whisk until incorporated. Add vanilla extract and food coloring; whisk until evenly distributed throughout.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, and salt; mix until just combined. Fold in cookies.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle top with additional chopped cookies.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let brownies cool completely before slicing and serving. Store covered at room temperature.
follow along with me: