Happy Monday from the mountains, y’all! Very excited to be on a much needed vacation my with my family, and just as excited to share this Skillet Monster Cookie with you all today. I made this thing three times trying to get it just right and the third time was the charm. You know how the best part of the cookie is the soft gooey center? This whole entire cookie is like that. The edges firm up some, but it’s so soft and gooey without being too underdone. Perfect on a fall night with some ice cream, a cozy blanket, and a good movie!
A monster cookie, in case you haven’t heard of them, is typically a big cookie flavored with peanut butter, oats, M&Ms, and chocolate chips. A combo that’s just begging to be made into a giant skillet cookie, right?
The secret ingredient here is some cream cheese. The first two times I made this, I was unhappy with how much crisper the edges were than the middle of the cookie. And also the third time I made this, I didn’t realize I was low on butter and didn’t have enough LOL. I literally had one stick of butter left in my fridge (how did this even happen???) but I did have 4oz of cream cheese left from something else I’d made. But it really helped soften the texture of this cookie and totally worked out for the best!
SOME THINGS TO NOTE
- Most monster cookie recipes use plain M&Ms, but my grocery store was weirdly out of the bigger bags of them on more than one occasion so I used peanut butter M&Ms. Honestly, they’re perfect here and add even more peanut butter to the mix!
- I used quick oats in this recipe instead of old fashioned rolled oats because I think it works best with the texture here. You can certainly use old fashioned if that’s what you have on hand, but quick oats are what this cookie needs.
- Use your favorite peanut butter! Creamy, chunky, whichever you prefer.
- I used some chocolate chunks I already had, but you can use chocolate chips or whatever you have on hand.
I really hope y’all give this skillet cookie a try because it’s a GOOD ONE. Y’all already know I love a thick and gooey skillet cookie over regular cookies any day, but this one is a winner. The skillet cookie of all skillet cookies. Queen of monster cookies. We will definitely be making this one again when autumn is in full swing and we need something warm and chocolaty and gooey on a crisp fall night!
Skillet Monster Cookie
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and flour a 9-inch cast iron skillet.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add peanut butter, both sugars, and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs; mix until incorporated.
- Add flour, quick oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until all dry ingredients are incorporated. (Dough will be a little soft.) Add M&Ms and chocolate chunks; mix until evenly distributed throughout.
- Spread cookie dough in the prepared skillet. Sprinkle additional M&Ms and chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and cookie is set in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool. Serve warm with ice cream.
- Store covered at room temperature.
follow along with me: