Happy almost Friday, friends! I’ve got the perfect thing to brighten up your weekend. Small Batch Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins!
I know I’ve rambled on about my current obsession with all things spring in my last few posts, but here we are again! I’m just really into all the bright pops of color. Citrus, berries, flowers. So into it. All the happy vibes. I’ve got some good stuff planned for upcoming posts!
Now on to these muffins! Small batch recipes are totally working for my household right now, so I’m excited to share these muffins today. They’re not too sweet and the perfect sunny addition to your morning routine.
There are three people to feed in my family so these muffins are pretty perfect for us because the recipe makes six. And they are SO EASY. The great thing about muffins is that there is no-mixer required. I’m honestly not sure why I don’t make more of them. One bowl, fold everything together, and leave it a little lumpy. Bam, perfect muffins.
And let me tell you, these muffins are great sans glaze (and I’m a big fan of glaze). I almost didn’t even put any on them because they were so good on their own. Soft, tender, and perfectly lemony. So, in a strange turn of events that goes against who I am as a human begin, I guess I’m considering the glaze optional here. I don’t know, it’s 2021, anything can happen!
Whip up these Small Batch Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins tomorrow and your Saturday will thank you! Imagine waking up knowing there’s a little batch of these waiting for you and your morning cup of coffee. That could be you! 😌
I’m also sharing a video of making these over on Instagram so make sure to click over and check it out!
Small Batch Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 6 tbsp vegetable canola, or coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp poppy seeds
- 1-2 tbsp raw or coarse sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
To make the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a 6-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, lemon extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Fold liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in poppy seeds. (Batter should be a little lumpy; don’t over mix!)
- Divide batter evenly among paper liners; sprinkle tops with raw sugar.
- Bake on 425°F for 8 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350°F (without taking muffins out of the oven) and continue baking for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let muffins cool in pans for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze:
- Whisk together all ingredients and drizzle over cooled muffins. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.