S’mores! I love ’em year round, but summer is totally s’mores season. And if y’all don’t know about my s’mores obsession by now, then you better get ready. I keep it dialed back most of the time, but now that it’s summer, I’m letting it allllll out. Just warning you. 😉
This specific recipe is extra exciting because I think this is the real first skillet recipe I’ve posted!? I’m so behind the times. Also for me, it’s extra extra special because this skillet belonged to my grandmother.
A few weeks ago, I made these s’mores cookies from the lovely Rachel of Bakerita. I don’t make cookies very often because I can never get them to turn out right, you know, with the soft center and crisp edges. But those cookies came out perfectly. Perfectly! They were so good and highly addictive.
After I made those cookies, I started trying to think of a way I could make my own version. Since I’m s’mores obsessed and all. What a great time to use my newly acquired skillet!
I’ve gotta say, skillet cookies? So much better than regular cookies. This S’mores Skillet Cookie starts with a graham cracker crust in the bottom. Next is the cookie dough, which is filled with chocolate chunks, some graham cracker crumbs, and tiny marshmallows. The marshmallows in the dough are the extra-mini ones you usually see in packets of hot chocolate. (I found them at Target, but I’m considering them optional here because there are some bigger marshmallows on top too. Really it just depends on if you want to buy two kinds of marshmallows.) Toppings include toasted marshmallows (duh) and a nice drizzle of ganache.
Typically I take things that I bake for the blog to work the next day so they don’t sit in my apartment and tempt me. 😉 This was the first thing I brought to my new job and I think it was a hit!
S'mores Skillet Cookie
graham cracker crust
- 1 1/2 cup graham crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
s'mores cookie filling
- 1 cup butter room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar pack
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup Marshmallow bits extra tiny marshmallows, optional
- Mini marshmallows to go on top
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
for the crust
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a bowl and stir until all the crumbs are coated. Press into the bottom of a cast iron skillet and set aside.
for the cookie dough
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix butter and both sugars on medium speed until fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix well. Next, add the salt, baking soda, flour, and graham cracker crumbs. Mix on low speed at first, until ingredients are mostly combined, and then mix on medium speed until completely incorporated. Stir in chocolate chunks and marshmallow bits, if using. Spread cookie dough on top of the graham cracker crust in the cast iron skillet. Sprinkle with more chocolate chunks. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly golden-brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and turn on the broiler. Add mini marshmallows on top of the cookie. (I only put them around the edges, but you can cover the whole thing if you want!) Place the skillet back in the oven for about 40 seconds, or until the marshmallows are toasted. Stand at your oven and watch the marshmallows because they brown quickly and will burn easily. Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool.
for the ganache
- Place chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for another 15 seconds. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth and there are no lumps. Drizzle ganache over skillet cookie. Best served warm!
- (If reheating, keep in mind that the marshmallows burn easily in the oven.)