Last year I made a strawberry lemon cake for my family’s Easter lunch. These flavors are probably the first that come to mind when I think of spring, so I decided to celebrate the warmer weather with a tiered cake! I’ve never made a tiered cake before, mostly just because I’ve never wanted to fool with adding supports and all that, but I didn’t do any of that with this cake. Just stacked ’em all up and slathered some frosting on there.
On Saturday, my friends Meredith and Rachel came over and we had a photo shoot in my living room all afternoon. I honestly wish I could do that every single day! So we played with props and fabric and cooked bacon and played with edible flowers. Pretty good Saturday if you ask me!
- For the lemon cake layers, you can use this lemon cake recipe from my Blueberry Lemon Cake, minus the blueberries.
- For the strawberry cake layers, I like this strawberry cake recipe from Southern Living. Except I cut the sugar from two cups to 1 1/2.
- For the vanilla frosting, try this recipe from my Dark Chocolate Cherry Cake. You will probably need to double this recipe to cover both tiers.
- For the bottom tier of cake, I used 8 inch cake pans, and 6 inch pans for the top tier.
- Bake the cakes for 18-20 minutes. My 6 inch layers were a little thicker than the bigger ones, so they still baked in about the same time.