Happy Friday, friends! I’ve got a super simple and delicious weekend bake for you: Summer Cornbread Cake with Honey Whipped Cream. It’s so easy! And was born from my need to use up some fresh fruit in my fridge that probably would have gone bad otherwise.
I love a good one layer cake. And I especially love this one because it’s low maintenance and comes together quickly in one bowl. It’s super chill and perfect for your weekend! It’s also adapted from (you’re probably tired of me saying this) a recipe in my cookbook, which is made in a skillet and flavored with lemon zest and bursting with blueberries.
Here I opted for my trusty 9-inch springform pan, but you could also make this in a skillet or 9-inch cake pan if that’s what you have. Just check for doneness a few minutes early because bake times may vary slightly!
I have two cornbread cakes in my cookbook actually, so you maybe can tell that I really like cornbread and I love the idea of turning it into a cake or dessert. Traditionally, I wouldn’t use any sugar in cornbread (as it should be, as most Southerners would tell you) but here it’s perfectly acceptable to sweetened it up! We’re using a combination of cornmeal and all-purpose flour so it has a little more of a cake-like texture as well.
This cake is flavored with some honey (because honey and cornbread together are just *chefs kiss*), which goes oh so sweetly with our little mountain of summer fruits on top, so I used some in the whipped cream too! It’s lightly sweet and you can drizzle some honey on top with your fruits. I used a combo of random things from my fridge and freezer: peaches, cherries, strawberries, and blueberries. The great thing about this cake is it goes with literally anything and everything!
And there you have it! A perfectly easy and delicious treat for your weekend. Happy baking!
Summer Cornbread Cake with Honey Whipped Cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
Honey Whipped Cream
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A combination of summer berries and stone fruit for garnish
- Extra honey for garnish
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray.
- Combine melted butter, sugar, and honey in a large bowl. Mix on medium speed with a mixer until incorporated. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add milk, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix until ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until center is set and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the honey whipped cream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip heavy cream, honey, and vanilla on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. (Almost a stiff peak is ideal. You want it to hold its shape when lifting the whisk out of the cream, but not so stiff that the whipped cream is over-whipped.)
- Spread whipped cream over the top of the cooled cake and use the back of a spoon to create “swoops” all over. Arrange fruit over the top. Cut into slices to serve.
- Store cake covered in the refrigerator.
follow along with me: