**Originally posted in May 2015 – Updated July 2021**
When I originally wrote this post in 2015, I had just started a new job. It’s weird to be sitting here six years later after updating the recipe photos and getting ready for day two of a completely different new job. Life is funny! And sometimes it includes pie and sometimes that’s all we can ask for.
While I’ve got shiny brand new photos for this pie, the recipe itself didn’t change much! It’s a really great one that I’ve found myself wanting to reshare on my social media pages recently, but mostly all I could see what the faux marble contact paper that I photographed it on 😂
I know that’s probably not what other people saw when they looked at it, but it’s such a fun and extra-summery spin on classic Key lime pie that really deserved some new attention and love. I made way too much toasted coconut after updating the photos of a completely different and unrelated coconut recipe, and knew it was finally time to shine some new light on this Key lime situation!
This filling is your typical Key Lime Pie filling with a splash of coconut extract. The crust is a graham crumb and toasted coconut combo to boost that amazing toasted coconut flavor. It’s topped with fluffy homemade coconut whipped cream and garnished with more toasted coconut and lime slices. Major yumminess going on here.
The one new thing I did add is the white swirl design on top! It was a last minute thing I threw together with stuff in my fridge, so it’s essentially a little bit of Greek yogurt, milk to thin it out a little, and some coconut extract. I piped it in straight lines across the top and swirled with a toothpick. It’s totally optional, but does add another level of fun:)
This pie is still so bright and happy! And just as delicious as I remembered it. If you’re a fan of coconut, it goes to well with the Key lime here and I know you’ll love it too!
Toasted Coconut Key Lime Pie
Toasted Coconut Graham Crust
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- 1/2 cup butter melted
Coconut Key Lime Pie Filling
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp coconut extract
Coconut Swirl (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk or cream
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- toasted coconut
- lime zest
- key lime slices
For the toasted coconut graham crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a pie plate with non-stick spray.
- Place toasted coconut in a zip-top bag and crush with a rolling pin until coconut is broken up into tiny pieces. Combine graham crumbs, toasted coconut, and melted butter, stirring until all crumbs have been coated. Use a rubber spatula to press the crumbs into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Set aside.
For the coconut key lime filling:
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on medium speed until thickened and lighter in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Add sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and coconut extract; mix on low speed until well combined. Pour filling into the prepared crust.
For the coconut swirl:
- Stir together all ingredients in a bowl until incorporated. Add an additional tablespoon or two of milk if necessary. The mixture should be thick enough to pipe without being drippy.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag with a small tip cut off. Pipe in straight lines across the top of the filling. Then drag a toothpick back and forth perpendicular to the lines to create the design.
- Bake filling for 15 minutes. Chill for at least 3 to 4 hours, or overnight. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
For the coconut whipped cream
- Combine cream, powdered sugar, and coconut extract in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Transfer cream to a piping bag and pipe around the edges of the pie. Garnish with toasted coconut, lime zest, and limes if desired.