Also today I’m sharing a recipe for a classic vanilla bean cake with vanilla bean frosting! It’s super easy and simple, and is a great really basic cake recipe. I like to think of it as a blank canvas that’s perfect to dress up however you like. It’s a good one to have saved in your recipe box!
- I promise to be openminded.
- I will not stand for hatred.
- I *WILL* lose the weight I keep telling myself I’m going to lose, but then procrastinate and never actually lose.
- I will focus more on self-love and having positive inward thoughts towards myself, instead of being negative and hard on myself all the time.
- I will continue striving to live a minimalistic lifestyle. (Currently doing some major closet/cabinet/prop purging!)
- I will continue bullet journaling in order to keep my life organized and help with my complete lack of time management skills.
- I will make time to practice my guitar multiple times a week because I *AM* going to learn how to play this thing, dang it.
- I will take the time during the weekends to plan out my meals for the coming week.
- I will keep a gym/fitness schedule, but I will not beat myself up if I miss a day or fall off the wagon.
- As someone who has never cared about politics until now (and is deeply worried about the incoming administration), I will continue to educate myself and form my own opinions based on factual information from reliable sources.
- I will be an advocate for women, the LGBT community, and all citizens of this country who are treated unfairly.
- I will write everyday, whether it’s for my novel, the blog, poems, or scribbles just for fun.
- I WILL BECOME A MORNING PERSON AND GO TO SLEEP BEFORE MIDNIGHT. YES I WILL.
- I will kick my soft drink addiction. Sorry, diet coke. (I still love you.)
- I have GOT to find a way to make myself eat vegetables. It’s a serious problem, people.
VANILLA BEAN CAKE
vanilla bean cake
- 2 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup milk
vanilla bean frosting
- 1 8-oz pkg crisco shortening
- 1 cup butter softened and cut into slices
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 6 cups powdered sugar
for the cake
- Preheat oven to 350*F and spray 2 (8-inch) cake pans or 3 (6-inch) cake pans with nonstick spray. Line with parchment paper and spray again.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, oil, egg, egg whites, and vanilla bean paste. Mix on medium speed with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add half of flour mixture and half of milk. Mix until smooth. Repeat with flour and milk.
- Divide cake batter evenly among cake pans. Bake 20-23 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
for the frosting
- Beat shortening on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. With mixer running, add butter a few slices at a time until incorporated.
- Add vanilla bean paste and half of powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until mostly combined and medium-high speed until completely combined. Repeat with remaining powdered sugar. (Add 1-2 tbsp milk if frosting is too thick.)
- Spread frosting between cake layers and around the outside of the cake. Decorated with swirls of frosting and fresh fruit, if desired!