I haven’t been this excited to share a recipe with you in awhile. Which is so funny because these Dark Chocolate Stout Lava Cakes are so simple and easy. I’ve never made lava cakes before–I don’t know why I waited so long–but you can expect to see a lot more of them. They are my new favorite thing.
This past week I’ve been stuck at home with the flu, so by the time Saturday rolled around I was beyond bored. Actually, obsessively watching Scandal on Netflix (don’t know why I waited so long to do that either) kept me pretty busy, but I was tired of sitting all day. I knew I needed to make something for St. Patrick’s day for the blog, but it needed to be ridiculously easy. It also needed to be something small. I originally thought about making a cake, but then what would I do with it? Who wants cake from the girl who just got over the flu?
So lava cake it was. And these are so fun to make. I was so excited when I took them out of the oven! And when I turned one out onto a plate and cut into it, I actually giggled. It worked! There was lava inside! I am such a child.
Here are the reasons why I love these tiny cakes:
- They are so incredibly easy to make. If you have two ramekins or small oven-safe glass bowls, get to baking!
- You only need 7 ingredients and you probably already have them–aside from dark chocolate and stout beer, which you can swap out for whatever you do have. But let’s be real, tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day so you probably have beer.
- No mixer required! All you need is a whisk.
- These cakes bake in about 10 minutes. Mine were perfect at 11 minutes, but this will probably vary from oven to oven.
- No cooling necessary! Well not much. These cakes are supposed to be eaten warm and lava-y.
These are also wonderful reasons as to why dark chocolate stout lava cakes are the perfect last-minute St. Patrick’s Day treat! They can be whipped up in minutes and then you’re sinking your spoon into molten deliciousness less than 15 minutes later. Who needs microwave mug-cakes when you can have this stuff instead?
Dark Chocolate Stout Lava Cakes
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp butter VERY softened (salted or unsalted)
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp stout beer
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, spray two 4 ounce ramekins with nonstick spray, and place them on a baking sheet.
- Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until completely melted. (I did 3 intervals.)
- In another bowl, whisk together the melted chocolate and butter. Next add the sugar and mix well. Add in the eggs and whisk until combined. Then add a pinch of salt, the flour, and the stout beer. Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the ramekins, filling each about 2/3 full. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 11 minutes, or until the center is no longer jiggly. Remove from the oven and run a knife around the inside of the ramekin to loosen the cake. Let the cakes cool for a minute before turning them out onto plates to serve.
- Garnish with powdered sugar and serve with ice cream!
Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker says
Uhhh these look soo good! Love lava cakes!
Thanks, Rochelle! I’m totally hooked on them now!
Ilona @ Ilona's Passion says
Looks so delicious! I’ve never made chocolate lava, but it’s definitely on my list to do.
You totally have to try it, Ilona! They’re so easy!
Matt Robinson says
These look perfect! And I hope u’re feeling better:)
Thanks so much, Matt!
Oh my word, that looks amazing!!!
Well, thank you! 🙂
Carol at Wild Goose Tea says
I think recipe ‘takes the cake’ for St Paddy Day’s recipe for me. Utterly delicious and you are utterly right—utterly
Thanks so much, Carol! They really are pretty easy!
Megan - The Emotional Baker says
Hate that you were sick, but love that you concocted these great cakes! Can’t believe how few ingredients you used!
Thanks, Megan! They’re pretty simple when it comes to ingredients!
I hope you are finally feeling better Beth!! These lava cakes look awesomeeeee. I’ve actually never made lava cakes at home – need to get on this!
Thanks, Ashley! You definitely have got to try making lava cakes. They’re so fun!
Jeff Branch says
I now must have me some lava cake. Awesome!
I totally have to make you one!
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
I’ve seen many dark chocolate stout cakes before.. but never a dark chocolate and stout LAVA cake. This sounds so incredibly delicious and they are obviously cooked to perfection – just look at the oozing center!
Justine | Cooking and Beer says
Ok, so last night I was literally craving something sweet. I should have stopped by before today because I would have totally made these! God knows I have enough stout laying around! These look amazing, Beth!
Oh these will be perfect for any night!! I love how small they are and that gooey center..yum!!!
Medha @ Whisk & Shout says
These look delicious! That melty center… too yum 🙂
Oh my word, these cakes have me drooling on my keyboard!
Your lava cakes look absolutely divine Beth!! I made a batch of soft-centered chocolate puddings a few weeks back and got my own lava thrill!